Saturday, May 8, 2010

Sunny with a Chance of Sunburn

Less than 10 years ago I could spend my days sitting in the sun sipping ice tea reading the latest issue of Seventeen, listing to (gasp) the backstreet boys without a care in the world.

What I mean by without a care in the world is Sunscreen...

For all the wrong reasons. I didn't want the SPF 30 to get in the way of that perfect golden brown tan that my children now are able to reach in 2.2 seconds of being outside. For all of you freaking out thinking that I send my children out without sunblock. Don't worry because trust me I need to slather my sweet albino like children with SPF 200 with an extra side of SPF 50. Or their golden brown will never be met and I would be forced to deal with "MOM my arms are hot, it burns and I think I'm going to die." I learned my lesson with that ONCE never to be repeated again.

Truth be told it took a few times to learn that lesson. My sweet baby Bella only a few weeks at the time was sitting in her swing sleeping away in the shade at grandmas house. Little did I know that at some point the sun had moved and well half of my sweet diaper wearing Bella was swinging in the sun. I didn't notice until it was too late. She had a perfect line down her little body one side red while the other still albino.

The other lesson was learned I think last summer, but maybe the summer before to always put sunblock on the part in her hair. DID YOU KNOW THAT IT BURNS THERE TOO? I sure didn't, but I do now.

Okay back to my story...

Yesterday while watching my father build a fence and my children playing in the sand I had time to do a bit of reading and get a little sun myself. I should have known better, but it's only May and I thought to myself I'm not going to burn. I couldn't have been more wrong yet again... My arm today is a big pink thank GOD it doesn't hurt. I cant help, but be left scratching my head wondering what happened to my perfect NON burning olive skin?

While Camping last summer I fried myself so bad that I was thankful the nights were cold and while playing on the beach during the day the cold breeze was enough to cool my lobster colored body.

I'm just going to blame my children for this. Pre motherhood I would bake all day in the sun without the thought of aloe being needed by the end of the night. Now I make sure to keep a Costco size bottle in the fridge waiting for me. Because at the end of the day I'm too lazy to take less than 5 minutes to slather my body with sunblock.

Well I'm off to do it yet again. My big kids are busy playing in the yard and riding bikes the baby is sleeping with hubby. It's time to read in the sun and bake a bit more!

And to think that the amount of time I spent writing this post I could have been digging out the sunblock. Oh well it makes more sense to write about it. In my world anyway!

Until Next Time,
Burning MaMa

2 comments:

C.I. Crenshaw said...

Haha, sunburn, what's that? Could you send me a picture, so I know what it is? ;)
Hope you don't go through the Aloe too fast. You said you keep it in the fridge right?

Anonymous said...

The sun is a very deceptive thing in this area. ;) Hang in there!