Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Great Amazon Rainforest

We have spent the week learning about tree's. Things they do for us and things we can do for them.

While I was trying to hunt down a book in our home library I came across a book about the Amazon Rain forest. While I glanced over the pages reading bits here and there, and trying to figure out where in the heck this book came from.

When I started reading it to them I figured we could learn about the animals and maybe a tree type or two. I had no idea they were going to find it as cool as they did.

Bella had the great idea of write a song about the "Great Amazon Rain forest" That is still in the works. I plan on getting it on video of them singing it to post here. They also wanted to build a rain forest in our school room and even include the Amazon River. We are going to be constructing it for weeks.

I started writing this blog last week and well I'm just now sitting down again to try and finish it. We continue to learn about the Amazon and they cant seem to get enough of it. Everyday we learn about a different animal and continue to work on our song. Hey even we are learning a thing or two. The Pink River Dolphin I had no clue that there was such a thing. When I told Avery that I had never heard of one. He goes "MOM hello there was one on Dora" I guess I should spend more time watching Dora?

Funny how things turn out. When I started to research Homeschooling and different ways that we could do it. I remember when I first read about Unit Studies.... I wasn't too sure if I would be able to come up with enough to keep them busy learning in every subject centered around one thing. Without even giving it much thought that is what we have been doing the last two weeks.

I still plan on using Sonlight, but I wanted them to get into the swing of school before we set our eyes and minds on Sonlight. So once we are finished learning everything we can about the Great Amazon Rain forest we will start our first year of our Sonlight adventure. I truly cant wait the books are amazing!

Well thats all for now.... Check back I am going to try to start writing again on a regular basis again.

Until Next Time,
Just MOM

No comments: