Wednesday, February 4, 2009

1-800-ABC-DEFG


Hooked on Phonics Worked for ME!


So when I was younger I always made fun of the Hooked on Phonics commercials. Why I'm not too sure maybe because deep down I'm sure it would have offered a bit of help to my horrid spelling and the reasons why I hated to read aloud in class.


I'm not saying that I couldn't read, but I lacked the confidence that's for sure. In 4th grade I remember reading Number the Stars by Lois Lowry. Still do this day would have to be one of my favorite books ever. Everyone was given a copy of this wonderful book along with a list of who was reading aloud and when. OMG I wish every teacher would have done this. My last name starts with an R and since the list was in alphabetical order by last name I knew I had a few days before I needed to fake being sick so I wouldn't have to read.


To bad this plan backfired on me big time. When my day to read rolled around I did stay home with flu like symptoms that were gone by dinner time that evening. I went to school the next day thinking that I had just pulled off the greatest plan in the whole world. Our days always started with Journal writing then it was time for reading. Everyone helped move desks and we settled in for at least an hour of reading one of the best books ever. Me being me I never fully listen to anyone or anything so when I looked up from my book wondering when they were going to start reading when....


Yes everyone was looking at me! Mrs. 4th grade Teacher looks at me and replies with Taylor please take it from the top of page 56, yes I even remember the page number. So here I am freaked out because everyone was looking at me and waiting on ME! My plan really did SUCK and I guess I missed her talking about the fact that if you miss a day no worries you will be able to read when your back!


How could I have missed that I'm guessing that I wasn't listening then either. I did in fact read, I'm sure I lost everyone after about two words. I hated reading aloud, I felt like everyone was always laughing inside. I would have to ask what words were and would even have trouble saying them. I had to even sound things out and WOW that day I wanted to crawl into a hole and die.


After my pages were read I really felt sick. That was the day that I forced myself to start reading more and truly work on reading aloud. Still to this day it isn't my most fav thing to do, but I am able to do it without a problem.


I love reading and everything that has to do with books. Maybe its one of the reasons Mr. Montana and I decided on using Sonlight Curriculum nothing like having a literature based curriculum for a book junkie mom to teach.


So that brings me to today. Avery has always had a hard time with learning his letters and well that makes it hard to learn and know the sounds they make. So I googled Hooked on Phonics and well I just HOPE it works for him. If it doesn't man I'm at a loss... I'm sure I will pull something else out of my homeschooling mom hat, but for now that is all I have.


Number the Stars is one of the greatest books ever. I think it's one that everyone should read, no matter how old you are. It is no longer on Public School's reading lists because it has to do with religion. In a way that is another reason why we as a family have decided to homeschool our children. The idea of being able to teach what we truly believe our children should learn about. There are so many things that today's children are missing out on. So much History that they will never know about, things that have made us who we are today.


Okay so that is Taylor's tip for the day... Head on down to your local bookstore or Library and pick up a copy of Number the Stars by Lois Lowry today! I recommend buying a copy because I can promise you that you will want to read it over and over again.


Until Next Time,

Just MOM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great story. More people than you think suffer from reading-out-loud anxiety. I know I did when I was a kid.

Best of luck to you and your son.